Health & Safety for All
Our Promise to You
TEAM is committed to ensuring that all residents feel secure living in and moving around the city, that tourists feel welcome and safe, and that people experiencing addiction and mental health issues have the support they need to improve their quality of life.
How We Will Get There
TEAM will utilize both short-term and long-term approaches to improve public health and safety, including:
- Improving disaster resilience by helping neighbourhoods prepare locally and by building a disaster-proof emergency command centre
- Prioritizing crime prevention by working with police, neighbouring cities, and the Province
- Establishing a single coordinating body to ensure that the complex needs of people experiencing homelessness, addiction, and mental health issues are effectively addressed with long-term, holistic solutions rather than through emergency services
- Creating a full-time Downtown Eastside (DTES) commissioner with a mandate to address the out of control social issues that are impacting the health and safety of the community, and ensuring that needed resources are provided and properly distributed to those who need them
- Reviewing the adequacy of police, fire, and other emergency services to meet future needs from increasing density and population
- Increasing support for community policing initiatives such as Block Watch
- Responding to urban wildlife threats, maintaining clean streets and sidewalks, and keeping Vancouver attractive and safe for tourists
This is just the beginning - we will be releasing more details.